Thursday 16 May 2013

Delay by royal decree!

So each TOC will employ someone or a team to attribute delays to other TOCs or Network Rail. A delay can cost a TOC £350 per minute for any delay over 3 minutes. (Or at least that's my understanding of it) so therefor it makes sense to have these teams. 

Ours is based at our York control room.
We are encouraged as guards to report delays as they happen and give a reason if possible. 

So a typical phone call would consist of giving your head code (train describing number). The length of delay and the cause or company you believe to be the cause. (Normally TPE or Virgin!!).

So on my second trip to Stoke the two expresses that leave for Manchester before me left perfectly on time but the signal didn't come 'off' for me in the bay. 
Now I'd noticed a large police presence on the station but I did not for one minute expect the entire royal train to cross over the mainline in front of me! Apparently Prince Charles had decided to go out for a day out in Stoke!! 

Despite all the fun and games I was now leaving 4 late from Stoke so today managed to attribute a delay to the Royal Family! (Ok ok to DBS but that's not the point!)

The guy on delays said it certainly made a change to putting a TPE head code in!

Sorry about the photo quality it caught me on the hop! 

Have a safe evening

The Guard 

No comments:

Post a Comment