Tuesday 28 May 2013

Bank holiday 'action'

So just a brief note to show what my bank holiday 'early' consisted of! 

A 0250 get up saw me in work for just gone 4ish. After collecting the usual stuff and signing for notices a small gathering of staff had a wonder downstairs for the first set of empties to Chester. 

There wasn't anything on the platform and we found that a overrunning track possession still had the up and down East and Up and down Fast closed to traffic and so the signallers were having a mare getting units off the depot. 

Eventually a 150/1 rolls in onto platform 10 and we pile on. We all have a little section of the train each and I settle down into a dark corner near a heater. I then spend the rest of the journey having a good look at the inside of my eyelids!! 

We arrive at Chester and I find my driver already on the platform with Bond themed 142007 fired up and ready. Because this unit has been left on the platform overnight myself and the driver have to do our own 'mini prep' of the train. My main job is to commission the doors for service. This is done by basically opening all the doors on the train in a specific order, testing all of the door buttons and the bell buzzers on 'all four corners.'

Door test complete and coffee supplies topped up (25p at Chester Mess bargain!). I've noted in the repair book that two of the internal door close buttons don't work, the toilet seat has fallen off and there is an air leak in the destination blind cupboard. Nothing to serious and I book her in for a welfare check from the fitter when we arrive back into Picc. 

The journey is mega quiet and I have one man who missed the last train and has slept on the station from Chester to Northwich and then surprise of the morning is a passenger at Ashley!! Was so quiet I enjoyed the ride on the old bus seats as a passenger all the way back! 

To Hadfield next and even on a bank holiday at 0750 I'd had to eject two lads for no money and no ticket at Ashburys! Then got a load of idiots (one who didn't realise I'd seen his Network Rail ID!!) at Glossop! Quick break (and a cheeky BK brekkie) and then a round trip to Crewe (out via the airport back via Stockport) saw the day finished nicely at 1150 ish! 

All in all a nice quiet shift.

Hope your all well folks

The guard! 

1 comment: