Sunday 28 April 2013

Springing into lates!

Been back in on lates this week following a short city break over the previous weekend!
Nothing really to report this week it's all been very run of the mill to be honest.

Yesterday was about the most exciting to blog about when I got very attached to 142004. My job was 9hrs 50 mins long yesterday and started with a trip to Hadfield.

Those of you who know this line will know that it's hard to do tickets on the full train due to the number and proximity of the stops also a lot of guards have an aversion to working these trains outbound from Manchester. So yesterday on arrival at Ashburys, the blue council house (Man City stadium) had just kicked out which filled my train up a treat. No real bother as always until leaving Guide Bridge when I found a guy in the area behind the drivers door. "Ashburys to Godley" "£3.10 please" "f**king £3.10 I've never paid on this line for 5 years, here's £3.50 keep the change and I don't want a f**kin ticket".
I honestly didn't know what to say (although the £3.50 came in handy for lunch!!) (joking folks don't write in). But that highlights the problem I suppose and the reason Northern take a dim view of ticketless travel.

Anywho! After that the fun really began and at just gone 4pm I got onboard my steed for the rest of the shift! The aforementioned 142004! Me and this beast would spend the next 8 hours together on 3 round trips to Rose Hill and one and a half trips (empties back on the second) to New Mills Central.

As it was a pleasant afternoon I spent the first two of my half hour turnarounds at Rose Hill on the platform basking in the sun. Otherwise all passed off well and we had no further problems!
The last New Mills was absolutely rammed and I spent the first part of the journey locked in the back cab with a driver from another depot.

Sorry it's been a bit quiet and boring but that's all for now!
See you soon

The Guard!

Pic. 142004 waits time at Rose Hill in the afternoon sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment